Saturday, December 20, 2008

My dear friend Kipp!












Through the years there are very few things to me that stay constant in my life. That is not necessarily a bad thing, I enjoy change and all the opportunities it can bring, and this is the yin. The constants in my life have been less pronounced but alas rarely change, like the 49ers and their lack of a Playoff appearance. One constant in my life that I truly count my blessings for are my strong and valued friendships. One of these friendships sprung a new branch on our apple tree! This new branch of our tree will bare a bountiful fruit for many more years to come. Allow me to explain.

I first met Kipp Morrill in the mid 80’s. We both started on the Organized Fire Crews in Chico California. Young and enthusiastic firefighters ready to take on the world, boy we were young! Through the years we have grown and matured in our lives and our profession’s. We have a fostered a friendship based on humility and respect in and around our circle of friends. We have gone years without seeing one another, as our jobs have taken us across this wonderful landscape we call America. We made time to stay in contact via email or phone, even if it was once every six months, the fact remained the friendship was based with solid roots and this tree was growing!

Over the last two years Kipp and his lovely and amazing wife Miriam had began to ask a few questions on our work in Cambodia, then a few more questions, then a donation, then a laptop for Mr. Togh, then more questions. A most gracious fundraiser dinner spearheaded by Brad and Sandy Azevedo at the Morrill’s home turned into one of my proudest moments. Kipp and Miriam joining us in Cambodia. To share our passion and work for all things Cambodian was a true treat. Many questions were asked about their role here and how they can help. My answer was always the same, “once you get here and meet the people and immerse yourself in the culture, you will know how to help, once you spend little time here, you will know, you will know”.

So Kipp and Miriam spent two weeks with us in Cambodia. They visited Mr. Sao’s village and played with children and learned how to harvest rice. They walked the proposed ground of the future home of Bakong Technical College. They shared with us our first visit to Mr. Togh’s completed school and we watched in amazement as our PE scholarship recipient Mr. Chumno was teaching with a passion and grace. Kipp and Miriam got to spend lots of quality time with Mrs. Chantrea and Mrs. Naret, our two wonderful and extremely gifted female scholarship recipients. They took all three out shopping for books and book bags, calculators and dictionaries. They shared the love and warmth of our wonderful hosts Yarann and Sa Eng and children.

At the end of the day as Kipp and Miriam have now left back home for the cold and rain of Northern California, many things remain the same. As I call from Thailand to check in with Mr. Sao or Mr. Togh, the questions are the same. “If you talk to brother Kipp, please say hello and high-five from us”.

Thank you Kipp and Miriam for allowing Olivia and I to share a little bit of what we love so much about Cambodia with you. I venture to say there is a new branch growing on our tree, it will thrive and grow like our friendship! We love and respect you both immensely!

2 comments:

Kipp Morrill said...

WOW, so very humbled my friend. You have always been in my catagory of not just a friend but family. Thanks for always being there my friend, my brother. And thanks for sharing your passion.

WuBaiCBFan said...

Wow, Kipp Morrill....I clearly recall the "skunk" do you used to sport back in the old days in Chico. What a nice surprise to see your smiling face at Asad's blog!

Hope you remember me, I'm Marla, Asad's old roommate, living in Taiwan these days. :)