Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Chet!


12/10/2007

Today came with much anticipation and excitement, even Sao was restless. “We go see Chet today? We go see Chet today Asad”? “Yes Sao we go” I said. I don’t think I need to explain to anyone who is reading these pages what Chet means to me. The mere utterance of his name brings a tidal wave of emotion to me, as Olivia and I have worked through the good and the bad with this child of the streets. I must be honest, I was slightly nervous and a bit apprehensive after a less than stellar last meeting the year before. There were a few issues last year with “I want this and I want that”. We had a long talk about steeping up and being a man, not waiting for things to happen, but making things happen. I told him this would only manifest itself with a strong work ethic and solid education, these were the key’s to self-sustainability. These were the keys to your successful future! I left unsure if these words sank in....

So as Sao and I drove to the new Landmine Museum about 6 km south of Banteay Srey Temple, I had 40 minutes to reflect and hope, reflect and pray...
I had brought along 2 laptops for the Education Center to be used by the children and teachers, Olivia and I were able to provide these refurbished computers with the amazing help from Charles and his volunteer staff and Interconnection (www.interconnection.org). Truly though a BIG THANK YOU must be extended to all those who made those cherished donations in November to help us make these contributions for education!

When we finally arrived at the New Museum I saw Chet talking with two tuk tuk drivers. I smiled from afar as I realized how much he had grown in just one year! I motioned to Sao not to say a word as I sneaked up behind Chet. Knowing he would not recognize me with my new hair cut (that’s another story). I came up behind him and he quickly turned around as sized me up, “Asad Asad Asad Asad you are back!!” We hugged and walked hand in hand away from everybody, he looked me in the eye and said, “Asad you were right, Education is the most important thing, I realize that now Asad, I’m sorry, you forgive?” I was fighting back the tears, but the tears won…

No comments: